Birth Ways International Postpartum Doula Certification Requirements
- Minimum 16 hour Postpartum Doula Training workshop (including prerequisites).
- Minimum 4 hours breastfeeding seminar provided by an IBCLC or professional breastfeeding counsellor, in person or online.
- Attend a minimum of 6 peer-supported breastfeeding meetings (e.g. LLL meeting, mothering circle).
- Attend a minimum of 3 postpartum clients after postpartum doula training. One must be a after a caesarean birth. For each client, submit forms for client feedback and a doula report. Note: Papers are to be submitted as completed so your instructor can provide feedback, answer questions, and debrief while the clients are still fresh in the doulas mind.
- Read and submit a book report for a book from each of the nine categories on the BWI Postpartum Doula Reading List. Other birthing books or educational videos may be considered; please ask your trainer.
- Current adult / infant CPR certification.
- Attend a Processing the Birth Story class, in person or online.
- Submit a list of postpartum resources local to your area.
- Submit your Client Postpartum Prep Checklist.
- Read, understand and sign: Scope of Practise, Code of Ethics, and Social Media Policy.
- Submit a paper demonstrating an understanding of scope, ethics, integrity, and insight. Describe what you would do in various circumstances (scenarios are provided).
- Order the BWI Postpartum Doula Certification Package and pay the certification fee. Fees include the package, feedback, processing all documents, and your official BWI Postpartum Doula Certification once all the steps are complete.
There is no membership fee. There’s no need to repeat the entire certification process as long as you are an active postpartum doula or participating in continuing education (details with cert pack).
* There are modifications or equivalents available e.g. for rural doulas, in case some of these requirements aren’t available locally. Please ask your trainer for details.