A birth doula provides physical, emotional and informational support to the mother and partner during pregnancy, birth and early post-partum.
Begin or expand your birth business by attending this Birth Ways International Birth Doula Training.
This interactive 16-hour course prepares you to become a birth doula and help a woman through labour, whether you want to support a friend through her birth or make a career choice. You’ll leave with educational resources and hands-on practice.
At the end of this weekend, your view of birth, women, birth practices, and where the power resides will be transformed!
Times: 7-9pm (Fri night), 9:30-5:00pm (Sat & Sun)
(See "Upcoming Events" side-bar for future dates.)
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
At current rates there will be over 4000 babies born in Regina over this year and only about 100 of those will be attended by a doula. There’s certainly room for more doulas!!
- Practicing with integrity
- Role and responsibilities of a doula, scope of practice
- Key doula standards and professional ethics
- Working effectively with medical care providers and others that attend the birth
- Labour support tools, practical skills, comfort measures / coping methods
- Common interventions and informed decision-making
- Caesarean births and VBAC (vaginal birth after caesarean)
- Alternative / complimentary support methods
- Self-awareness, including your motivation for doula work, your ideal client, your boundaries
- Basic anatomy and physiology specific to labour and birth
- Prenatal and postpartum client visits
- Working with diverse clients/families/populations
- Sensitivity and tools for working with client diversity
- Coping & support of unexpected events
- Basic breastfeeding initiation
- Effective communication – listening skills, impact of language
- Honouring individual birth process - memory of birth, narrative
- Start-up and sustaining your practise (birth work business)
Some participants have been to births before but most haven’t. Some are mothers and others are not. We have young women, wise elders, and everything in between – it’s never too early or too late to embark upon this path. Rural and urban women attend. Some participants have no background knowledge or experience while others are healthcare professionals.
If you wish to pursue certification through Birth Ways International, this course is the first step.
I want to thank you again for the passing weekend. It was unbelievable, intense and really educational.
The combination of your passion, intuition, and vast amounts of knowledge was amazing, and I hope to learn more from you in the future. Thank you for having me and surrounding me with your love :)
I just want to take a minute to write to you and tell you how much of a pleasure it was to even get to meet you let alone be taught by you ! You are a huge inspiration to me, all of your stories and experience has empowered me into a different person, I am so honoured to have had the privilege to be in your class! Thanks for absolutely everything, all the hospitality and everything!
Thanks you so much again for the wonderful weekend. I am very happy that I decided to take part in the Doula course and found it to be such an enlightening, passionate and great experience! I really enjoyed it and look forward to working in the area and learning lots and lots more! Thanks again for everything.
I attended 2013 Doula workshop. The years of experience ,knowledge and wisdom on " Women Giving Birth". She is filled with a passion for Birthing and delivers with such enthusiasm and straight from the heart to the group. All the resources complied over the years to enable us to have a solid foundation to launch our desire to begin our Doula Practice. The atmosphere & energy at the workshop is uplifting, positive, FUN and full of encouragement !